Establishing and implementing an Environmental Management System (EMS) is all about protecting the environment. The following are 10 ways to protect the environment at your facility.
- Establish and implement an Environmental Management System to manage and protect the environment. Consider implementing an ISO 14001 system.
- Compliance – Know and understand the laws and regulations that apply to your facility.
- Educate – Train and educate employees at all levels on their roles and responsibilities with respect to the environment. Protecting the environment and maintaining a culture of compliance is everyone’s responsibility.
- Accountability – Protecting the environment and maintaining a culture of compliance is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone must know and understand their role and responsibility.
- Courageous Leadership – Empower employees with the knowledge and responsibility to share ideas for reducing environmental impacts.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle – Explore ideas to reduce waste, reuse resources, and recycle products to make the facility more efficient and reduce environmental impacts.
- Participation – Encourage employees to become involved in environmental inspections and initiatives. Reward employees for innovative ideas and actions.
- Report – Establish an environment where all incidents are reported and investigated promptly.
- Assess Effectiveness – Assess the effectiveness of controls put in place to protect the environment. Develop and implement new controls in high risk areas.
- Continual Improvement – Continually strive for new ways of doing things with a focus on protecting the environment.
Do you have any other tips to protect the environment? Please share your comments and ideas below.